1. Hemp oils have a 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids. This great balance of fatty acids helps your body reduce inflammation greatly. Unfortunately, the typical Western diet of omega-6s to omega-3s is around 10:1, or even, in some cases, 20:1. The healthy balance between omega-3 and omega-6 is generally considered to be between 4:1 and 1:1, which means for all the omega-6 fatty acids we consume we must also consume a quarter of omega-3s. The heightened level of omega-6 in a Westerner’s diet causes a great deal of inflammation in the body. Hemp oil is very interesting in that it strikes a good balance between omega-6s and omega-3s, which allows the omega-3 fatty acid to keep inflammation in check.
2. If you have just one tablespoon of high quality hemp seed oil a day, you have met your daily requirement for a balanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. The popular recommendation is to consume 2 grams of alpha-linolenic acids (ALA), which are short-chain omega-3 fatty acids found in hemp oil.
3. Docosahexaenoic acids (DHA) help insulate nerve cells in the brain, and they compose about 97% of the fat in our brains. Low levels of DHA in the brain are linked to many neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s and PTSD. Some holistic doctors are conducting research to see if it is possible to convert DHA out of the ALA found in hemp oil. If so, this would be a major change in how doctors look at the production of DHA in the body. For more information please watch this informative video by SuperfoodEvolution.
4. Hemp oil has been shown to have the greatest concentration of polyunsaturated fatty acids. According to foodnavigator-asia.com, hemp oils blow away other sources of polyunsaturated fatty acids. For example, hemp oil overall has 104% more fatty acids than fish oils, and a whopping 460% more than whole fish.
5. The substance cannabidiol (CBD) found in hemp oil has been shown by many studies to reduce anxiety dramatically. The omega-3s and cannabidiol of hemp oil have been studied in 2011 and yielded positive results for reducing symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD). Patients who took hemp oil reported lower levels of anxiety, and those who were asked to give a public speech were less prone to anxiety than the placebo group. Also, studies done in Brazil have shown that even individuals not prone to anxiety disorders that take hemp oil have decreased anxiety both in their own subjective experience and through looking at their brain waves.